Hello all! 2016 has been a crazy year! There is so much going on in the world, and there was a lot that went on in Adriana’s world this year. So much has changed in a matter of months. As the year comes to a close, I am looking forward to 2017, even if the majority of it is uncertain.
Some personal victories and highlights of 2016:
- Celebrated 23 years of life– I am and adult, even though I am not and ADULT adult. What other birthdays do I have to look forward to now? Maybe 25 when I can start renting cars on my own…
- Moved to California– I wasn’t expecting to move here until sometime way later. My mom talked to my aunt and uncle about my love for Los Angeles, and they said I could move in with them in San Diego- so that I could ease my way into LA as opposed to moving there blindly. I left my job at the call center and came on over to start a new life! At the time, I had no clue what was going to happen with my life. I had become really frustrated, and then out of nowhere- a blessing came!
- Interned for the San Diego International Film Festival– It was really exciting doing something industry related. While I was with SDiFF, I met some really amazing and passionate people, and had a great experience. I sat in on a couple screenings, and the Variety awards show, and had some of my writing showcased. Too bad I really hate pictures, otherwise I would share one. I loved hearing little nuggets of inspiration from Annette Bening and Jason Mitchell, two of our honorees. I also loved the year-end party where each of our leaders said something nice about each intern. I was honored to know that I am appreciated, and my hard work hasn’t gone unnoticed. Below is my internship video for my class.
- Saw my “fave”, Dave Franco in person– A strange experience, but a highlight (Don’t judge). I didn’t get a picture with him, but I have his signature and the knowledge I made him smile. It was one of his movies that sparked the idea for the Cinema Soloist, even though I didn’t start it until months later.
- Visited Los Angeles for the first time– My first time was a disaster, but it solidified that it was the place I wanted to be. Greyhound nearly stranded me, I got lost Downtown, accidentally ended up at my dream company, and got mobbed by tourists. It still felt right though.
- The Cinema Soloist turned 1– I’ve had this blog for over a year and I had a couple blogs over the years that didn’t last, or I didn’t keep up with. It’s not big, but it makes me happy to know people read it and have feedback, and follow my adventures.
- Interviewed at one of the world’s biggest talent agencies– This place had been one of my dream companies. Even though I wasn’t offered the internship position, being there was a major milestone. It was verification that I am too close to quit now.
- Celebrating some milestones with my siblings– My brother has recently joined the army. I can’t remember the exact name of what he is doing, but he is working a lot with computers. I found out today that my sister got into the college of her dreams for the Culinary Arts and will receive a $10,000 a year scholarship.
- Graduated from college (finally)– I now hold a Bachelor’s degree! After five years, it’s all over. After a transfer, monetary problems, course retakes, I can finally breathe- until I have to start paying my student loans back. Let the job search begin!
Things to look forward to in 2017:
It’s pretty scary because I really don’t know what is going to happen in my life after January, but there are some big things on the horizon! After some curve balls, I am hoping that this little jagged path I am walking will become more clear.
- Celebrating 24 years of life– Enough said! I will be another year older!
- SUNDANCE– The Cinema Soloist is going on vacation- to the Sundance film festival! I haven’t had any actual holidays since I’ve been here and well in a long time, and I need some time away. I thought I would do a bucket list item and go to the nation’s premier film festival for my Christmas, Graduation, New Year’s, Birthday present. I can only afford the first half though. To Park City I go! Get ready for some exciting posts.
- Big Los Angeles Move– This will hopefully be really soon. I have initiated a transfer from my current job so I can have a flow of income while I look for opportunities in my field of choice. I’m not sure when this will occur, but hopefully it’s before the summer months.
- Building the Cinema Soloist– I really want to do more with this blog. I hope to expand it. I want to add a weekly entertainment news section (concerning film development, sales, and non-tabloid fodder). And I hope in my journey to Los Angeles that I can inspire people, and they can use this site as a potential guide.
Thanks for following on an amazing year:
ADRIANA, THE CINEMA SOLOIST